One of Diamond Subdivision's gems in Balibago A.C. is a house turned restaurant/cafe called Zulu Coffee and Tea. This joint has an exotic, tropical feel to it. Lush greens abound. Tribal furnishings and seashell ornaments hang about. There is an outdoor dining area for a lovely al fresco experience to the music of indoor manmade waterfalls. There's also a covered area with posh seats and cozy lounges.
I went on a Saturday night with my barfine and it was quite surprising to still have street parking available, as Zulu shares the street with a few clubs and bars.
Zulu serves dine in, to-go, catering and they accept functions, too. Healthy lunch, dinner and midnight snacks are on the menu. A mix of Italian, American, Mexican and Asian favorites best describes the selection. Coffee is served hot or iced, and my, Zulu has an interesting list of yummy frappes!
We tried their Quesadillas and Pizza Burger. For drinks we had a tall glass of Macadamia Frappe and a Hazelnut Chill.
What we liked:
- The look and feel of the place (the mini manmade falls, especially!)
- Low price range (we spent around 600+ pesos -- that's around $15 US)
- Drinks were nice and well presented
- Serving size was quite generous
What we found so-so, or didn't really like:
- Food service took too long (half hour to be exact!)
- The Quesadilla could use more chicken filling
- 2 waiters were not so friendly. It was quite apparent that we needed help as we were looking at them eye-to-eye and waving hands.
Overall, Zulu is a nice place to chill with friends, have snacks with family or to enjoy some quiet me-time over coffee.
Address: Diamond Subdivision, Balibago, Angeles City Philippines, 2010
Hours: Monday-Sunday 11am-3am